Saturday, December 3, 2011

Changing the focus of this blog.

I think it's time I change the focus of this blog. Don't worry, I'll still be writing reviews of movies, video games, and books when they suit me, but there's a lot more I want to write about.

Now don't thing that this blog will become my personal journey. You'll not have to hear about how I'm frustrated with my job or feeling down- I made that mistake for many years as a teenager on my Xanga blog, which I pray remains buried and no one ever unearths. 

I want to write about ideas and thoughts, as well as media. Mainly, I just want to write. I've been thinking a lot lately that I consume a TON of great material, but I don't really create much of it anymore. People may deride critics as being people that can't create material themselves, but they're still creating. They're intelligently analyzing a subject and weighing it's merits, as well as comparing the subject to other subjects. They see media in ways that the average person usually doesn't, and that definitely takes talent. So even if this blog just becomes a critique on films, books, ideas-whatever- I just want those ideas to be unique.

I intend to update this blog about once a week. I have a new job now where I'll be getting in at noon and getting out at 8:30 at night, so I'll have a lot of free time at night. I'd rather not spend that free time sitting in front of my Xbox playing Skyrim for 5 straight hours (though that happens easily, I'll tell ya). I want to spend that time doing something creative and constructive, even if it's just writing this blog. When I was in college, I hated starting papers-I got a queasy, dreading, disgusted feeling in my stomach when I knew I had to start one. When I sat down and actually started writing though, I felt great. I loved sorting through ideas in my head and creating something professional and articulate. Being out of school for almost two years has not forced me to consistently write, and I find that sad.

So look forward to fresh new writing. Personally, I don't care if anyone ever reads this blog. I just want to establish a volume of writing that is genuinely my own, and even if it never get's recognized, at least I can say that I created, and not merely consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment